Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Telling Life: I hab a code in by dose

Ugh. I have a cold. It's a garden-variety, annoying, snotty, sneezy, slow-synapse, yuck kind of cold. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but certainly inconvenient and annoying. I don't have time for a cold (do we ever?) because I am entering a period of intense work with lots of travel. I have so much I need to get done in the few days I am home, I do not have time for cold.

Oh well. I guess I do. Because this mucus-clogged body is just not moving quickly. David Wilcox has a great song about how colds are reminders to slow down. I guess I needed the reminder. Phooey.

I have all the requisite stuff: tissues (though I need more), tea (though I need more), honey, soup, sinus wash, medication, a cozy blanket and netflix. All of this, of course, is just the icing on the cake because what I really need to do is rest. Slow down. The cold will pass. Most of the tasks will wait. I'm just cranky about it. I'm grateful I don't have any gigs today or tomorrow because performing with a runny nose is no fun for anyone.

Once upon a time (sniff) there was a king with three daughters (cough). Excuse me, hang on. (snort). Each daughter was lovelier than the rest and as kind. The people of the kingdom loved them almost as much as their father did. (disgusting throat clearing sound).

At least we are all spared that.

I have a very clear memory of being sick with a cold when I was maybe 8. My father went out and bought three different kinds of juices so I would have something yummy to drink; he wasn't sure which was my favorite so he got them all. I drank all of them so he would feel better too.

What helps you feel better when you have a cold? Any stories of loving comfort? What do you do if you have a gig you just can't reschedule or give to someone else?

This is a short post. I'm going to hunker down with my blankie and tea. I'll doze to netflix. I'll feel better soon, but in the mean time.... sniff. cough. snort... Excuse me. I need another tissue.

(c)2016 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

1 comment:

  1. Just take care of yourself. My favorite comfort (cold) food is boiled pastina (tiny, tiny pasta) until it's like oatmeal with butter and garlic. Oh, and Tea! Warm hugs, feel better.

    ReplyDelete

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails