Sunday, August 29, 2010

Why it's worth remembering childhood dreams

Because sometimes you're lucky enough to fulfill them!

Today I had the pleasure of spending time with two new friends, Bill Hanley and his wife Rhoda Rosenberg. These wonderful people have an incredible creative life. Bill is known as the "father of festival sound" while Rhoda is a talented artist and teacher. They are kind and generous and I count myself lucky to have met them.

Over the course of his travels, Bill has acquired some pretty impressive pieces of machinery. He needs them, since he builds massive stages and structures for sound equipment. Among other things, in his backyard, he has a crane. A big one.


When I was a little girl, my favorite toy was my Tonka Truck . My Aunt Betty gave it to me - she asked me what I wanted to play with, hoping I would say "a doll house" or some other equally girly thing, but instead I told her I wanted a Tonka truck. She loved me enough to take a deep breath and get it for me. I never got over that truck.

As I grew older I loved taking things apart and putting them back together again. I was one of the kids and then one of the adults who stared into construction sites. I've long thought that if I ever won the lottery I would get a sandpit and some construction equipment just to play.

When I saw Bill's crane I told him about my Tonka truck and how cool I think big machines are. So he asked if I wanted to operate it. I think I only squealed a little.

Today, in my grown-up body, 8-year old Laura got to play with a crane. I am still giddy with the experience. Thanks to Bill's generosity and kindness I was able to let my young self and adult self play with utter delight.

I hope you can fulfill some of your childhood dreams with such joy sometime soon too. Even if they don't involve heavy construction equipment.

(c)2010 Laura S. Packer Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails