Wednesday, October 31, 2007

All Hallow's Eve

Oh, but I love Halloween. I remember when I was a little girl I loved the costumes and candy, but mostly I loved the forbidden thrill that came with being out at night, the possibility of ghosts and goblins all kept safely away by the warmth of my parent's hand as we wandered through the neighborhood. As I grew older I'd venture out with friends, parents safely at home, and wear obscure costumes. My last Halloween costume was a shadow. I wore black and would stand behind people mimicking their movements. No one got it.

I also love Halloween because it is the ancient turning of the year, Samhain. Now we enter the dark days, the harvest is done and we cherish what light we can find. Now is the time to celebrate our beloved dead through Dia De Los Muertos. Now is the time to hunker down and remember who we are without the distractions of the bright light, we can see who we are in the shadow and coming cold with the guidance of our ancestors; they will help if you ask them. Now is the time to reach into the past and use what we find to reinforce our own selves, our past and our future.

Tonight I will write a letter to the dead, light a candle for them to see me by and set out a saucer of milk and bread for any visitors. I will breath the night air and peer into the mysteries of the dark. And I will welcome any little ghosts, goblins, pirates and politicians with delight and good candy.

Have fun!

(c) 2007 Laura Packer Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment

True Stories, Honest Lies by Laura S. Packer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.truestorieshonestlies.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.laurapacker.com.
Related Posts with Thumbnails